We had hoped that EAC could handle all of the anti-cheat stuff so we can concentrate on handling all the game stuff. It's obvious that’s not working, so I did some work on a second-layer of anti-cheat this week.
One of the things I added was serverside noclip protection, that I'm sure that a lot of people have wanted for a long time. The good thing is you can’t write a cheat to break this; the bad thing is it may end up increasing the server's CPU usage.
Things should get better over the next week. This won't resolve cheating by any means. It will make them less obvious to everyone on a server, but also less destructive. I’ll be watching and listening and improving this more as time goes on.
Incendiary Fireball Changes
I did a little bit of work on the fireballs that come out of incendiary rockets to make them a little more useful:
- Fire deals much more damage.
- Being in the flame will slow your movement down.
- Flames now emit light.
- Flames have different heights.
Right now how people are getting ores is wrong, so this will probably change in the future. While playing I realized that it was ridiculous that you could find an ore node and gather enough metal to make 3-4 guns from it. There are also some cases where a few players get lucky and get a whole bunch all at once, leaving nothing for anyone else. To combat this I halved the number of resources found in Ores. Sorry! To make up for it, I increased the maximum number of ores that spawn by 50%, so in general there will be 25% less theoretical ore on the map. We’ll see how this plays out for now, but we really need to revisit this next week and have finding ore be more like finding a bit of treasure and not just a time sink.
Not a terribly uncommon drop, this helmet is very good at protecting against melee hits and a little worse at protecting against bullets than the bucket helmet. I’m interested to see how it plays out.
Bone Club + Torch Changes
I’ve done some work with the low-level melee balance of the game. First, I’ve implemented the bone club as a low-level melee weapon. It’s cheap to make and hits about twice as fast as the starting rock. Second, I’ve made it so when you ignite your torch it does +10 fire damage with melee strikes. The downside is it’ll only last 6-7 hits while lit, so use this ‘buffed ability’ sparingly!
The third trap of the game was added! It’s uh... pretty self-explanatory.
- Fixed supply drop dropping too many mining quarries.
- Supply drops drop more survey charges.
- Rock no longer loses condition when harvesting flesh.
- Bone knife range increased.
- Shotgun slug is more accurate.
- Coffee can helmet cost reduced.
- Increased quarry audio range.
- Beartraps + landmines displace grass.
- Beartrap cost reduced slightly and made more common.
- Traps no longer show health making them harder to spot.
- Lowered shotgun headshot sound.
- Lowered slug damage.
- Increased shotguns view sway.
- Fixed keypad culling out too soon.
- Fixed ragdolls freaking out when arrows/spears are stuck in them. There were some really funny YouTube videos, but we had to put an end to it :).
I’ll spend a little more on anticheat and might implement the pumpjack, most importantly though is I’m working on ██████████ ██████ ████ ████. ████’█ █ ██████ ███████ ████ ██ █████. █ █████ ████ █████ █████████ ███ ██████ I’m super excited!
[Helk got a little too excited and tried to announce something we're not ready to announce. I hope no-one else does that - Craig]