Our plan as of today is this:
- Linux and Win/Mac will split.
- The Win/Mac versions will update as normal and will be able to play on the same servers.
- The Linux version won't receive new features
- The Linux version will have its own dedicated server and won't be able to join Win/Mac servers.
- The Linux version will get maintenance patches
- The Linux server for Win/Mac builds will be available as normal
- This will happen on 5th September
- Don't make Linux versions of any future games because we can't/won't properly support it
It's easy to pick apart or maybe even find solutions to some of the issues I've talked about here and elsewhere. But when you combine them, multiply by the number of users and then look at the bigger picture - this feels like the right move for all of us going forward.
If you're affected by this please feel free to reach out to me at email@example.com